I know you're a private person and don't like having personal details splashed out for all and sundry, but I hope you'll forgive me this for the following reasons:
- The world (well, whichever section of it reads my blog) deserves to know what a treasure of a brother I have
- It's at least slightly different from sending an e-card
- I have refrained from writing anything REALLY personal, like the Noodle Incident. (Oh wait, that's Calvin & Hobbes. No need to worry then.)
- You were the best brother a girl could have when I was a kid. I still remember the nasty boys in the public pool splashing away in terror when they realised they'd been trying to pick on your sister.
- You're the best brother a girl could have now. I know we don't get to talk as often as we should, but somehow we still have that ability to know what each other is thinking. (Even if that elusive thought is something as inane as the name of Caesar's major-domo in Asterix and the Laurel Wreath).
- You are a phenomenal father.
- If there's any other human being on earth who can know what the first 20 years of my life was, it's you.
- You speak impeccable Arumbaya.
- You've always been a creative cook. I can't forget those cheesy baby spuds, or your first attempt at making hush puppies from the recipe on the back of a cornflour packet. If anyone inspires me now to cook up a good meal with limited ingredients, it's you.
- You aren't afraid that cuddling a kitty will make you look soft. (I'd like to see anything that would make you look soft, actually.)
- You got me eating animal fat after a lifetime of hating the stuff, and convinced me it would be good for me. (And it has been.)
- You have a great singing voice. It's a great speaking voice, too, but I can think of at least three friends of mine that you frightened off just by answering the phone. Not that that's a bad thing.
- Remember how Mummy used to pull us apart in those rare fights we had, and tell us "You two only have each other! You'd better learn to get along NOW!"? I'm glad she did, because I don't know where I'd be without your presence in my life.