Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

If you needed to book roses for tomorrow and you haven't, it's too late, so read this instead

I've never really "got" Valentine's Day. Where I grew up, it was a foreign celebration that opportunistic capitalists quickly picked up as a very easy way to get rich, at least one day a year. It wasn't a part of my family's tradition, or of the faith I eventually came to have. So I have little of my own to say about it.

But hopefully this will provoke some activity in your head this sleepy Sunday.


A picture from my archives that would be wholly unrelated to this post,
if not for the one heart-shaped cake tin I own. That heart-shaped cake,
with some accompaniments, eventually became my cousins' first anniversary gift from me, on the occasion of their first visit to Sydney as husband and wife. That, and the pedestrian everyday sparks of
my life and my friends', is the type of occasion I'd rather commemorate. Who wants to wait for that once a year?


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails