Pages

Thursday, July 06, 2006

What's with the male-bashing?

I've had it up to here with product advertisements featuring any number of attractive female models in some provocative/pseudo-authoritative pose, captioned with a tagline written to hit the male ego where it hurts. I suppose it's meant to amuse the ladies and antagonise the men. I seem to have missed the memo explaining what exactly makes them funny.

What is it with this generation and the people who shape its consciousness? We use our words, as sharp as we can get them (and some of us, myself included, were born with the gift of the jagged tongue, unfortunately), to wound the men around us and make them feel lower than pond scum. They're told, indirectly, that they're there to be conquered, crushed, manipulated, used and seduced. Then, when they turn into jerks who only want to know us in order to conquer, crush, manipulate, use and seduce us, all of a sudden feminine outrage surfaces.

My hands are not clean; I've said some pretty damaging things in the past but thanks to good, old-fashioned empathy and a few reflective moments, I see the error of my ways.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails